Happy Birthday to 66 North

Happy 100th birthday to one of the best-loved brands in Iceland: 66°North


Since 1926, this iconic Icelandic company has been clothing the nation.

It was founded by Hans Kristjánsson in Suðureyri in the Westfjords. The company has always created clothing to defend Icelanders from the wild weather that can be experienced at times - visitors will appreciate that sort of protection and allow them to carry on "no such thing as bad weather..."

Wearing 66 North clothing adds to my experience of being in the country.

I have several items of their clothing which I tend to wear all the time anyway, but particularly when I visit. I have an old fleece which is about 15 years old and a classic technical design and still looks great. I added to that with their version of a lopapeysa but backed with GoreTex Infinium.

I also have a full Skaftafell shell.... super waterproof and windproof. Add to that a number of t-shirts, tops and hats and gloves and I've got most of a full outfit.

You will see many people wearing 66 North clothing - in fact the first person to welcome you to the country in passport control will invariably be wearing a 66 North fleece. There are shops all over the island, and also an outlet store which I've not managed to get to yet - but one day...

Comments