Reykjavik Grapevine - make sure you pick up a copy

On visits to Iceland I try to pick up a copy of 'Iceland Review' from IcelandAir planes or related places.

I also keep a note of the plane I fly on with IcelandAir. This time round I flew on Thingvellir and Hengill - two places I visited whilst in the country.

The other magazine (or newspaper) I try to pick up, generally from a shopping area such as the Sunnumörk Shopping centre in Hveragerdi is Reykjavik Grapevine which comes out monthly.

The magazine is free to pick up in person, and contains a mix of news, culture and ads for a variety of locations in and around the capital city. It's irreverent and engagingly written. 


The current issue features amongst other things:

- a report on a trio of humpback whales that is hanging around in Hafnarfjordur (I had a look when we passed through but saw nothing)

- an article on Icelanders and swearing - apparently they are adopting new swear words based on English words e.g. sjitt.

- a thought piece on what would have happened if Icelanders had colonised North America

- a review of Hlynur Pálmason's 'Godland' and an interview with film composer Herdis Stefánsdóttir

- news on the new protected geographical origin for Icelandic lamb

- a description of a visit to the lava tunnels at Raufarhólshellir

Comments