Oct 25: Tourism research

Tourism is an important element of the Icelandic economy, and Ben Hennig has sent me some new research being carried out by a research student at the University of Iceland.

I have previously blogged various research and experiences around this, and under normal circumstances I would have had numerous posts with new photos and details of visitor attractions from my own work with Rayburn Tours which have been sadly curtailed throughout 2020.

Ben told me:

We've just had the first-ever PhD defended in Tourism Studies here in Iceland (which happens to be in my Department, which is Geography & Tourism Studies). The whole thesis and some (English!) context has just been put up as a news item on the University website, and I think it's a quite interesting topic that was looked into by my Dutch colleague.

Follow the link here to find out more information. 

"Many people have studied the effects of climate change on glaciers and landscapes in recent decades, not least in Iceland. However, almost no research has been done on the impact of climate change on tourism using this landscape. Glaciers and their surroundings are among the most popular tourist attractions in Iceland. It can be expected that the glacier landscape in Iceland will change significantly over the next 20-40 years and this will affect both the spread and quality of the services offered in glacier tourism in Iceland."
Johannes Welling

Plenty of posts on this blog are connected with glaciers and tourism.

Image: me on Solhimajokull Glacier in 2010 - it's a lot smaller now sadly...

Watch the video of his doctoral presentation...

Comments