Mar 14: J is for Jonsi (with or without Alex)

Jonsi or Jón Þór Birgisson is the lead singer and guitarist of Sigur Ros.
He is a tremendous musician and vocalist.
I was very fortunate to meet Jonsi in person at the Latitude Festival 10 years ago just before a stunning concert he gave as a solo performer (although with a powerful band) in a tent at the Festival. We were there to do workshops for our Mission:Explore book.

I always think of Jonsi when I travel through the coastal village of Stokkseyri as it is the name of one of the tracks on his album 'Riceboy Sleeps'.

I was also fortunate to attend the UK premiere of Riceboy Sleeps performed live at the Barbican, with a front row balcony seat. Here's the version that was filmed at the Sydney Opera House a few days earlier...


Check out this video too of a track from his 'Go' album. I remember this coming out when I worked at the Geographical Association. I was in my office, and played it for the first time from an NPR stream and realised it was a classic...

Comments