Jan 7: Take the Icelandic pledge

Tourists have the potential to cause issues for the places they visit if they don't take care. Iceland has many fragile environments, particularly the famous areas of moss, which have special protections, and which Justin Bieber was accused of damaging while filming a video in Iceland back in 2015.

This prompted the Guide to Iceland site to produce a list of 5 reasons not to behave like Justin Bieber, and a canyon was closed off to recover from the damage of increased visitor numbers.

Take the Icelandic Pledge

Now you can take the Icelandic Pledge if you are visiting.


Take the Icelandic PledgeThere are a number of elements to the pledge, all of which are designed to deal with some of the issues which the rise in tourism to Iceland has produced for areas which are heavily visited, particularly in the SW of the country.

You can sign the pledge by writing your signature on the website.
I've signed it, and you should too if you are planning to visit the country (and make sure that you stick to the promises).
Here they are for you:

I pledge to be a responsible tourist.

When I explore new places, I will leave them as I found them.

I will take photos to die for, without dying for them.

I will follow the road into the unknown, but never venture off the road.
And I will only park where I am supposed to.

When I sleep out under the stars, I’ll stay within a campsite.

And when nature calls, I won’t answer the call on nature.

I will be prepared for all weathers, all possibilities, and all adventures.

It reminds me of the Palau Pledge which has to be taken by those flying to the island, who also need to watch a video about their impact on the country.
Upon entry, visitors need to sign a passport pledge to act in an ecologically responsible way on the island, for the sake of Palau’s children and future generations of Palauans. The pledge was crafted with the support of children.

Here are the details explained for you:



The pledge can be taken online but also at airports in Iceland.

Comments