Jan 24: Icelandic Language 1

Image result for lonely planet iceland phraseYou will find that most of the people you encounter while in Iceland will speak very good English, sometimes better than your own.
It is rare to find people who speak no English, although over-exposure to visitors who lack manners may influence the response you get if you go straight in with the 'Englishman abroad' approach.

I'm going to try to make a little more of an effort when I visit Iceland. I think it always goes down well if one makes an effort, although it may also make me look like a bit of an idiot.

Another point to make is that if you enter a shop, or speak to a member of staff in one of the hotels or other public buildings it may be worth remembering that they are not necessarily from Iceland and may not speak much of the language themselves. There are a great many migrant workers in Iceland, which has welcomed thousands of people.

This Extreme Iceland piece has some useful ideas on learning Icelandic, which is a rather difficult language to get to grips with.
To help me with the language, I have been using a simple Lonely Planet guide which is only costs a few pounds.

Comments