Jan 13: Experience Iceland

Experience Iceland is an interactive map resource which has been produced by Simon Ross, and shared by Discover the World Education. There will be more to come on the companies that schools use


Here's the description of the resource. It uses an ArcGIS StoryMap template.

Join Simon Ross as he explores Iceland’s most iconic attractions, as well as some lesser known hidden gems across the island. See how Iceland can be used as a case study for geographers and an ideal destination for an unforgettable and educational school trip.

Experience Iceland consists of videos plotted on a GIS map complete with annotations and descriptions. 
The satellite view allows you to zoom in and demonstrate to your students how the land of fire and ice has been shaped over time. 
You’ll see lava fields, the Mid Atlantic ridge and other features that can’t be seen at ground level.

I'll share a StoryMap which I made myself using the template, and provide some more guidance on how you could make your own.

Comments

  1. Iceland has absolutely amazing Geographic features. There really isn't anywhere like it on Earth. take Asbyrrgi as one example. The experience Iceland map you have posted is incredibly helpful. I'd never come across it before. I'd never be able to come up with an itinerary to do Iceland justice, although I'm sure Simon Ross has it under control. I'm lucky that my friend Mark at http://Izzytours.co.uk did a planned school trips to Iceland, I'm sure there are some other tour companies that are also very good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Simon Ross is someone I've worked with for many years on various projects. All the tour operators who take students to Iceland, including Izzy Tours will have their own blog posts as the year goes on. I'm also keen to get students creating their own versions of this map - all they need is a free ESRI StoryMaps account to start producing their own guides. Thanks for reading the blog. Keep coming back - one post a day all year is the plan :)

      Delete

Post a Comment